Recently I started interacting with Freelance Writer Deevra Norling on twitter, a platform that continues to amaze me with its ability to connect people, grow friendships and build the warmth of a community. A perfect example of this was Deevra’s decision to nominate my blog for a Liebster Award recently.
I’m thrilled and saying yes – of course I am!
Liebster is German for ‘dearest’ or ‘sweetest’ and the award has been doing the rounds for the past years, offering bloggers an opportunity to spread the love, promote their favourite blogs and introduce the new ones that are making the internet a better place to linger on.
As a nominee I get to answer some questions posed by Deevra on her blog, as well as nominate my favourite bloggers and ask them to do the same. It really is a lovely idea – and exactly the ‘play it forward’ approach that the world needs more of.
Firstly I encourage you to learn more about Deevra, who put me here. A woman who I admire for following her dream, giving up a full time job and emerging herself in freelance writing. Something I constantly dream about doing. With a background in PR and a specific interest in non-profits, I see only success looming for her and look forward to reading and learning more. We’re planning a city date soon to catch up face to face, and I am beyond excited!
Secondly in keeping with the Liebster Award rules, I ask those I’ve nominated to do the following, should they wish to accept and participate:
- write a post about the Liebster Award
- thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog
- display a pic of the award in your post or as a widget
- include the rules
- answer my 11 questions
- list 11 random facts about yourself
- pick your nominees
- choose 11 questions for your nominees
- then email them to tell them about your nomination.
Note: You can nominate someone who has already been given this award, as long as they have less than 200 followers/subscribers. Well that’s the rule, but mine have plenty more than 200 and I want to shout their names from the top of the mountain irrespectively! They are:
My questions from Deevra are answered as below:
1. What made you decide to start a blog? Having established a tour operating company and as a natural born traveller and beauty seeker, I was lucky enough to have enjoyed special experiences and was inspired to share them with other travellers, be they armchair or actual.
2. What’s your day job and do you enjoy it? My day job is a combination of making dream holidays for International clients wanting to experience Southern and East Africa, which I love and hope to return to full time. As well as part owner and director of our Craft Distillery Jorgensen’s Distillery.
3. If you won a $1 million, what would do with it? Travel. Travel. Travel! And buy a sweet cottage near the Ocean. Maybe two. One in the Cape and one in Italy.
4. Do you support any charities, and if so, which ones? Yes numerous – The Ubombo Children’s Home, Chipembere Rhino Foundation, The Seals of Nam, a local school feeding scheme. I am often seen protesting for Animals’ Rights and talking out about Conservation issues. Oi to that drive that does get me into loads of trouble.
5. What is your passion and are you pursuing it? My passion is to love, live, travel and share and I pursue that always, consciously dismissing the norm in the hope of something far more meaningful.
6. What has been your greatest accomplishment that made you feel truly proud? My children make me proud and are their own greatest accomplishments. Mine, I’m still working on … But I do love my blog, my friends and contacts around the world and creating dream holidays that linger in people’s heart forever.
7. What has been your biggest regret in life? I don’t believe in regret although I do see what I could have done differently and try to learn from that. I wish I was more educated. Had read more books. Had unfloundering health and clarity. But these are things I’m still working on.
8. If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? In the Cape near the Ocean with my love and my pups. Although I do dream of spending a few years in Italy …
9. What’s the best advice anyone gave you? Stop being so hard on yourself. Follow your heart. Be true to yourself.
10. Charlie Brown or Bart Simpson? Charlie Brown!
11. Chocolate or vanilla? Both.
Random facts about me:
I grew up in the Free State. I speak, read and write Hebrew. I’m terrified of frogs. I need music and always have the volume too loud. I’m happiest barefoot. Don’t like talking on the phone. Fencing is my happy sport. Wish I had my pilots license. Collect maps and posters. I’m constantly in two minds as a result of a head injury. I really am trying to save the world.
Questions for my Nominees:
1. What made you decide to start your blog? 2. What do you most enjoy writing about? 3. Favorite International travel destination? 4. Favourite South African travel destination? 5. Beach or Bush? 6. New York or Barcelona 7. Canon or Nikon? 8. Your thoughts on Fur, Faux or Not? 9. The best advice anyone gave you? 10. Silver or Gold? 11. Biltong or Ice-cream?
I am most grateful to Neevra for introducing me to the Liebster awards, for including me as one of hers and hope that we will go on spreading the Blog-Love always. My hope is that my nominees will continue to ‘play it forward’.