More about Dawn Bradnick Jorgensen | The Incidental Tourist
‘Conscious travel brings me closer to the things that matter, the people and how they’d like their stories told.’
As a traveller with a deep love for Africa, it’s people and the environment; on my award-winning blog The Incidental Tourist I share my stories and photographs, accommodation reviews and discoveries from my international and local travels, as well as details of conservation campaigns that I support. From gorilla trekking in Uganda, tree planting in Zambia, turtle rescue in Kenya, crampon hiking in Patagonia and setting up a temporary home in Lisbon; my focus remains on sustainable tourism and highlighting ways that we can enjoy this beautiful world without compromise.
South Africa. Botswana. Lesotho. Namibia. Zimbabwe. Zambia. Kenya. Tanzania. Rwanda. Uganda. Reunion. Mauritius. Mozambique. Madagascar. Benin. Cape Verde Islands. Italy. Belgium. France. Vatican City. England. Ireland. Switzerland. Turkey. Greece. Israel. The Netherlands. USA. Mexico. Argentina. Uruguay. Honduras. Singapore. Indonesia. Vietnam. Thailand. Germany. Ethiopia. Austria. Morocco. Portugal. Bosnia and Herzegovina. India.
Next Destination: Thailand in November 2018.
Awards, Accolades, Interviews
- Included on 5 Fantastic South African Blogs You Should be Following on Howl Mag
- Included in 10 Travel Bloggers Who Love To Visit Cape Town by Secret Cape Town.
- Included on Huffington Post’s list of ‘7 SA Travel Bloggers To Follow On Instagram’.
- An interview with Coffee Magazine on my blog and travel choices and passions.
- Finalist: Africa Travel Blogs Award 2018.
- Interview on State of Digital Publishing about my Blog, online space and the evolution and growth of The Incidental Tourist since inception.
- Presenting at Big Ambition’s November Big Connect 2017 on ‘Working with Bloggers’
- Guest Speaker on Thailand a Destiny Magazine VIP Luncheon in Johannesburg.
- Host at the 2017 African Responsible Travel Awards with Better Tourism Africa. April 2017.
- Top 10 South African Travel Blogs To Follow by CometoCapeTown.
- Top 10 African Travel Blogs by Africa.com
- Best Travel Blog in Africa, Runner Up 2016, African Blogger Awards.
- South Africa Travel Bloggers Award. Winner Most Seasoned Traveller and Shortlisted in 3 Categories.
- Top 100 Travel Blogs in the world for Serious Wanderlust by Asher Fergusson.
- The leader of the Pack. A feature on Travel Massive global.
- Travel Massive Podcast. Following my passion as a Travel Writer.
- Dawn Jorgensen the conscious travel. A feature in Fluff Magazine pages 12 to 17.
- Q&A Interview with CapeTownetc on the Incidental Tourist.
- Winner of the Travelstart Travel Writing competition with my piece on Benin – My African Queen.
- 7 fabulous female travel writers to follow.
- SA’s Top Female Travel Blogger by IOL.
- Listed Top 10 South African Travel Bloggers by VOLO.
- Listed Top 6 South African Travel Blogger by Overland Tours.
- Listed Top 10 Travel Blogs in Africa.
- Woman of the Month. Xtraordinary Women.
- Global Ambassador Green Pearls Unique Places – Meet Dawn Jorgensen.
- What I. And interview with Becoming you.
- Ten things I love about being The Incidental Tourist by Brian Berkman on BizCommunity.
- Blog of the week talking Gorilla Trekking in Uganda. An interview with News24 Video.
- Afritravel Q&A with Travelstart, a video interview.
- Is Cape Town an African City? An interview with Future Cape Town.
Dream Holiday Maker at Travel Designer
Joining forces with the magical team at Travel Designer, I will be putting my vast experience as a traveller and tour operator into making travel dreams come true for others; focussing Specifically on Cape Town, as well as anywhere beyond in my beloved Southern and East Africa. Contact me for help with your travel plans. No matter how big, or small.
Campaign Work and Collaborations
Within South Africa:
- South African Tourism working with International Travel bloggers on the 2014 and 2015 #MeetSouthAfrica pre-Indaba campaigns
- South Africa Tourism on numerous Sho’t Left campaigns
- Fair Trade Tourism Ten-Year Birthday campaign
- Grootbos Private Nature Reserve on their #GrootbosMagic campaign and guest blogger.
- Cape Town Hidden Treasures. Avios Travel.
- Blogathon with #CheapflightsExplorers.
- Author of ThailandSA blog.
- Author of Travel Designer website and blog.
- Contributor at All4Women | Travelstart | Traveller24 | Cheapflights | onRoute Magazine | Air Namibia Flamingo In-flight | Sure Travel Journey | Kulula’s khuluma in-flight magazine. Safair’s Places and more.
I have worked with Swiss, South African, Singapore, Ethiopian and Turkish Airlines, Switzerland Tourism, Tourism Authority of Thailand, Trafalgar Travel, Treadright Foundation and Reunion Island Tourism promoting their routes, offerings and philosophies as well as numerous local DMO’s and PR Agencies including Rovos Rail, Manley Communications, Lesley Simpson Communications, Cheapflights UK, Five Star PR and Theresa Gibbons PR.
- Airbnb Immersive Experiences Host – Ocean Advocate.
- Cape Town Chapter Leader for Global Movement Travel Massive.
- Founder member of African Bloggers Network, established to professionalise the blogging world and implement a code of conduct.
- Speaker on Travel Blogging at the Indaba Travel Bloggers Conference in Durban in May 2015; eTourism Summit in Cape Town in September 2015; SAFREA event on Travel Blogging and Online Marketing in August 2016; Speaker on The Use of Bloggers and Influencers at Sports Events at SETE2016 in October 2016 and more.
- Pro bona work and media coverage of Greenpop | Blood Lions | Penguin Promises | Seals of Namibia and co-founder of the #AnimalRightsInTourism movement.
Other Blog and Freelance Contributions
As a freelance writer, my work regularly appears in numerous print and online publications both locally and abroad. I have been a regular guest on numerous national radio stations Helderberg, Good Hope FM and Hashtag Radio. The SABC3 Expresso Morning TV Show has featured me talking about my travel experiences and travel trends.
- SAFREA Membership Number: SAF02926.
- International Travel Writers & Photographers Alliance Member.
- Find me on influence.co.
- Featured On CTInsider PR Influencer List.
A more in-depth look at Dawn Jorgensen
After more than a decade of professionally designing dream holidays, as well as taking many myself I founded The Incidental Tourist in 2010 with the express purpose of sharing my love for travel with others afflicted by the gift of wanderlust. My heart has always belonged to nature and the more time I spent with communities and people working for our fragile wildlife and ailing oceans, the more determined I became to live ethically and do what I can to give back to the environment. I am often privileged enough to hear and experience the work being done by those working tirelessly to inspire change and am trusted with their stories. As I advocate for a better world I have become acutely aware of the responsibility that I have to do the right thing by nature, my readers and the companies that work with.
On my blog, I create a mix of content that will please those simply wanting to scroll through the photographs and be inspired to travel, to a reader seeking detailed advice on a destination that I have visited.
As the Chapter Leader for Travel Massive I have grown the Cape Town community to over 1500, hosting sponsored events every 2-3 month, always showcasing a social enterprise that needs our support. My recruitment by Airbnb as an Immersive Experiences Host with a tour that I call the Ocean Advocate, highlighted the plight of the oceans with behind the scenes visits to the Two Oceans Aquarium, time at SANCCOB and lessons in how as individuals we can make a difference, has given me a new platform from which to speak about my passion.
When not on the move home takes the shape of an intimate home in Cape Town, where I delight in quiet time, lots of yoga and long ocean walks with my pups Tuscan and Sienna Storm.
Do contact me at email@example.com for my full media kit and rates, and to discuss ways of working together. Also, should you have any feedback or questions?
Thank you for your interest, and mostly for reading. Dawn x.
“Travel. It leaves you speechless then turns you into a storyteller” Ibn Battuta
‘Wanderlust: An irresistible desire to travel, mostly to understand one’s very existence.’
Connect with me on my social media channels or follow me on Facebook at the link below.