August is Women’s Month in South Africa and Travel Massive Africa joined forces with the Department of Tourism to host simultaneous events around the country to celebrate all the wonders of the women in our industry. Cape Town’s event was at the One&Only Cape Town Hotel and it was magnificent.
Hein van Tonder of Heinstirred was there to capture these beautiful images of our morning shared. Top pics are of me with Nozuko Ngozi, the Director of Northern Region KZN & Mpumalanga, Dept of Tourism, who co-hosted the event with me. Also with Velma Corcoran, the Regional Market Consultant at Airbnb, Southern Africa, who was our guest speaker.
It’s a known fact that women play a significant role in the tourism industry and in Cape Town more than 120 gathered for an introduction to Travel Massive, to learn more about how to work with the Dept of Tourism and to hear the address by the Deputy Minister Tokozile Xasa’s.
I so appreciated how she said – ‘Continue to use Travel Massive for further networks beyond your province and country. We are hoping that finally our efforts and plans will link up to the broader agenda of the world and that all women in South Africa and in particular, the tourism sector, can play our part. Priority areas of the agenda are empowering women and girls and providing equal access and opportunity in all spheres of life and ensuring full enjoyment of all their women’s rights. We have an important role to play. Women, we are the agents of change!’
Thank you to all of the sponsors for the generous prizes and gifts offered:
- Each of the attendees received a voucher for R500 off a stay at AfriCamps, plus one lucky winner won a night’s accommodation for 5 people at their Kam’Bati camp in Swellendam.
- One lucky winner will get a Street Art Cape Town tour for 6 with Travel Designer. The tour will be designed with a specific focus on Women, set to introduce those making an impact in the male-dominated world of street art.
- Each woman in attendance receives an IMAN Africa Gift Voucher and a Forbes Africa magazine.
- A lucky draw saw a winner awarded a weekend for two pax at any SANParks Park of their choice.
- There was also a giveaway for a Family ( 2 Adults, 2 kids) Combined Tour to Sterkfontein and Maropeng.
- A one night stay for two and a meal for four at the Atlantic Beach Hotel, with thanks to Martina Barth of Let’s Go There.
If you’d like to see more about what happened at the other events in Durban, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Nairobi, you can look to the event’s official hashtag is #WomenInTourism on social media.
With Ozzy of Travel Designer, trying out his fancy car and wishing I had won the street art tour.